top of page

Family Immigration Keeps Families Together

At Bond & Posluszny, we believe in strong families and bringing families together through immigration. We know that your family is unique and we will work to find the solution that is right for your unique situation. Call us in central Jersey at 732-968-0080 for an initial office consultation.

Family Immigration Situations Vary

We help individuals and families with family-sponsored visas and any of the following:

Religious workers (R-1)

This is defined as a member of a religious denomination who is coming to the U.S. to work for a bona fide religious organization in a religious profession or occupation. For instance, a minister or equivalent in bona fide religious organization or religious occupation such as a religious study teacher.

Fiancée/fiancé visas

If you are a U.S. citizen and engaged and your fiancée/fiancé is located abroad anywhere in the world, we can represent you and your loved one in obtaining a K visa. From preparing and filing the petition before the Department of Homeland Security to navigating the process with the U.S. Embassy in your loved one's country of residence, we are familiar with the requirements and knowledgeable about the course of action to take.

Family petitions

There are many categories of family based immigration:

  • Immediate relatives — spouse of U.S. citizen, parent of U.S. citizen over 21, minor child (under 21) of a U.S. citizen

  • First preference — Over 21-year-old son or daughter of a U.S. citizen

  • Second preference (2A) — Spouse and minor children of a lawful permanent resident (green card holder) and (2B) over 21-year-old son or daughter of a lawful permanent resident

  • Third preference — Married son or daughter of a U.S. citizen

  • Fourth preference — Brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens.

While immigrant visas (lawful permanent residence or green cards) for immediate relatives are unlimited and not subject to a quota, the preference categories are. Our team of immigration attorneys can help you seek adjustment of status to lawful permanent residence through a family-based petition or through consular processing before the U.S. Embassy or Consulate if your relative is overseas.

Marriage cases

For those married to U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents (green card holders), we can represent you in obtaining lawful permanent residence whether before the USCIS office or overseas at the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate. The immigration process can be confusing with the requirements and myriad forms. It is best to have the benefit of making the right choice from the beginning of your process by choosing Weiss, Alden & Polo, P.A., to help you and your spouse formulate your plans accordingly to ensure a smooth process. We keep you informed of what to expect, we are honest and provide realistic expectations.

Battered spouses

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) allows any individual, whether female or male, married to a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (green card holder) who has become the subject of abuse whether physical or extreme mental cruelty to seek permanent residence before the Department of Homeland Security. This process is done without knowledge to the abusive spouse and the DHS takes great precautions to make sure this information remains private so your abusive spouse does not discover your claim.

Our firm has handled many of these cases in the past. If you feel you may qualify for this type of classification or if you are experiencing any form of abuse or fear such abuse from your spouse, please contact our law firm immediately for a confidential consultation as you may have a claim pursuant to VAWA.

bottom of page